Wednesday 12 December 2012

A trip down memory lane: My English teachers


This is my personal tribute and gratitude to all the English teachers I had at school and university in Spain. These teachers are the ones I remember the most, but I'm grateful to all the others.

Primary school

Don Damián was my English teacher at primary school during my time in Aguirre, a boarding school near Antequera. He was rather strict but so were other teachers. I suppose that was the norm in boarding schools at the time. I remember that any tomfoolery in class would end at a single blow, if you know what I mean.

He used to set us vocabulary tests regularly and, most of the time, I would get a 10. If I'm not mistaken, he's still teaching in Aguirre so I would like to go to one of those school reunions they have every year.

Secondary school

Don Félix was one of my teachers at secondary school. He had a laid-back attitude and would regale us with many anecdotes about things that happened to him in his younger days.

He also had his own methodology to teach English as I don't remember using any books in class. He would often challenge us to say certain phrases in English which he then used as examples of the grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation he wanted to teach. 

It's a pity I've lost touch with him. By the time I completed my secondary education, he was approaching retirement age. I reckon he is about 80 now. I hope he is in good health and enjoying his retirement.

University

The first year at university I had an English teacher called Paco. Later, in the third year of my degree course, he also taught me English lexicography.

Paco is very dedicated to teaching English and he does it with a good sense of humour. He is not only a teacher but also a researcher, having published lots of books on English grammar, vocabulary and phonology.

Unfortunately, Paco is retired now. He stays in contact with his former students and I am one of them. Although he's not a spring chicken anymore, he is still very much alive and kicking, working on other projects. He's recently published a dictionary of idioms.

These are my old English teachers and I send them my warmest regards from this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment